Throttle Trigger Made and Other Work.

Didn’t actually work on the car today. A friend gave me an old kids electric scooter so I could take the twist throttle and other random bits off it. So I took the throttle apart to see how it worked and it was a hall effect sensor with a magnet moving past it. I figured that was easy enough to modify so I took the brake lever off the other side and glued a hard drive magnet to the lever. The lever has a spring in it to return it back so I didn’t have to add one. After gluing the magnet on I made a simple bracket to attach the sensor over the magnet. I will make a better sensor mount after I know exactly where it needs to go but for now the plastic spoon handle will do.


I also picked up a panel ammeter from Radio Shack. It read 500mA the way it was set up. The Kelly controller outputs a PWM signal to indicate motor current so I cut the shunt out of the meter and wired it up so 5V was full scale using I think a 1K resistor. Now I can wire the meter to 5V and the ground side goes to the current indicator pin on the controller to give me a reading of how much current is going through the motor. I just had to edit and rescale the meter face. A bit of graphic editing and here it is.


The last part of the interior that needed work was where to mount all the switches and junk. I threw this together to print out and test the layout of the area under the center gauges.

gauge panel

After I get a layout I am happy with I will print it on a transparency film using a color laser then glue it to a piece of painted white lexan. I can then mount some green leds to the back of the lexan to make the white lettering glow at night. It should look good when it is done.

Comments are closed.