DR650 Ultimate Seat Mods

The air cushion seat cover I had kept getting holes it in easily and I got tired of patching it. I have already modified the seat previously. The seat was sized and fit me well but without the air pad it would get to me after a few hours especially with D606 tires adding to the vibrations. I used the seat controls from a Ford Explorer to make it much nicer.

From the Explorer I took the lumbar support out of both front seats and the pump and controls from them. I mounted the pump under the seat and the pressure adjust switch on the left side where it can stick out just past the side plastic panel.

100_0587 100_0588

I crammed the wires out of the way and everything just fit without having to modify anything.  The air bladders from the lumbar supports are a good sized pad. the next two pictures are showing one of them flat and pumped up to see how much they inflate.

100_0589 100_0590

The pump is strong enough to inflate the bags with me sitting on them. After getting the seat cover off the seat I duct taped the air bags to the foam and tried out a few positions till I found one that seemed good. I ended up putting them side by side. With the tractor seat base already mounted they worked out perfect for me there. I drilled a hole on either side to let the air hose stick through the bottom.

100_0592 100_0593

I put the old cover back on for now. I didn’t have enough vinyl to make a new cover so I didn’t put a lot of effort into getting the wrinkles out. I will ride it for a few days and make sure I don’t need to adjust them any more before putting a thin layer of foam over everything to smooth it out then cover it with new vinyl.

100_0594 100_0596

The switch works great. Push it up to inflate the bags and down deflates them. So now I can adjust the air pressure while riding. Hopefully this seat will last me a long time and make riding long distances much nicer.

Leave a Reply

DR650 Ultimate Seat Mods

The air cushion seat cover I had kept getting holes it in easily and I got tired of patching it. I have already modified the seat previously. The seat was sized and fit me well but without the air pad it would get to me after a few hours especially with D606 tires adding to the vibrations. I used the seat controls from a Ford Explorer to make it much nicer.

From the Explorer I took the lumbar support out of both front seats and the pump and controls from them. I mounted the pump under the seat and the pressure adjust switch on the left side where it can stick out just past the side plastic panel.

100_0587 100_0588

I crammed the wires out of the way and everything just fit without having to modify anything.  The air bladders from the lumbar supports are a good sized pad. the next two pictures are showing one of them flat and pumped up to see how much they inflate.

100_0589 100_0590

The pump is strong enough to inflate the bags with me sitting on them. After getting the seat cover off the seat I duct taped the air bags to the foam and tried out a few positions till I found one that seemed good. I ended up putting them side by side. With the tractor seat base already mounted they worked out perfect for me there. I drilled a hole on either side to let the air hose stick through the bottom.

100_0592 100_0593

I put the old cover back on for now. I didn’t have enough vinyl to make a new cover so I didn’t put a lot of effort into getting the wrinkles out. I will ride it for a few days and make sure I don’t need to adjust them any more before putting a thin layer of foam over everything to smooth it out then cover it with new vinyl.

100_0594 100_0596

The switch works great. Push it up to inflate the bags and down deflates them. So now I can adjust the air pressure while riding. Hopefully this seat will last me a long time and make riding long distances much nicer.

Leave a Reply